Grandparents

Sunday 15 January 2012

I've always been close to my Grandparents on my Mum's side. I have fond memories of staying overnight at their house when I was younger. My twin sister and I would wake up quite early in the morning and run into their bedroom, sit on their bed and drink sugary, milky coffee in small clear beakers with yellow lids so we didn't spill it everywhere. The best part was we usually got biscuits too, which was amazing because we'd never be allowed to have them that early in the morning back at home. We'd spend hours playing dressing up with my Nana's old waistcoats and scarves, we'd make 'things' out of old Christmas cards and build dens in the back garden with picnic rugs hung over the washing line. But one of my favourite memories at their house was playing shops - it was just the best game. My Nana had collected together empty bottles of shampoo, cardboard cereal boxes, old soaps from hotel rooms and so many other things along with an old play till with plastic coins. Setting it out around the entire living room was half the fun and that was before we actually started playing 'shops'.

As time has gone on however, I see so many more qualities to my Grandparents than just people I used to play games with. My Nana is one of the kindest people I've ever met and I'm not just saying that. She is one of those people that will do anything to avoid upsetting somebody, even if it means going out of her way. She cooks the best fruit pies and reads so many books it's unreal, my friends joke she has a library in her house. She was one of the main people who encouraged me to read and even now she lends me numerous books for my English Literature A Level course. My Grandad is a tall man and has the darkest black hair I've ever seen, it's only just starting to go that light silver colour that time inevitably brings. I appreciate him more now I'm older though, I love his sense of humour and his commentary on any TV program never fails to make me laugh. I'm so thankful to know people like them.

Laura.
Song: Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper, cover by Alex Goot 'here'

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs